I took a day off today because my son has a fever. Children tend to be clingy and does not behave well when they are sick. They need their mother to be around. I leave my children with my maid while I go to work. Last time, my mother took care of my girls. My girls had the chance to be with grandma; at least she is part of a family but my son is mostly left behind with a maid.
As a mother I have this guilt about whether I spent enough time with him or not . Whether he knows I am his mother or not . So he should love me more even though the one that he is seeing every day is the maid . Of course he knows me, Everybody knows his or her mother by heart . It was just a silly thought that I have at the back of my mind. I try to spend some quality time with all my 3 children every time I come back from office. I have no worries about the girls as now at 6 and 4, they can understand why I have to go to work .
With children you definitely have to spend some quality time. Bring them to their favorite restaurant (Mac D) once a week or twice a month (fast food is not cheap these days). Follow me window shopping sometimes- my girls can go crazy looking at women accessories ( hair band, hand bag, rings, bracelet and of course High Heels. If I want to buy a pair of shoes they will be very helpful. They will take all the shoes off the rack for me to try on (if only they knew that my feet is not that thin and slender - it is a bit chubby and wide hehehe...( so I cannot fit into the shoes of their choice ).
And of course they will want many things from the store. They will want hello kitty hair clip, they will want a ring star or a charm bracelet . Ooo their demands are limitless . Luckily, I teach my children you cannot have it all at one time and there are certain things that you have to buy on your own once u have a job (this is the excuse that I give if the things that they want is going to put a hole in my pocket heheh good huh?). Anyway, being nice girls, they are easily satisfied with a pair of hair clip, or cute bracelet or whatever. Their brother on the other hand, is still too little to demand transformer sets or ben 10 toys.
School holiday is for family outing or watching movies ( I always need to make my 4 years old girl look at the screen quietly instead of telling or asking me what the movie is all about (when we watched Harry Potter 2 weeks ago she keeps asking if Professor Dumbledore is Harry's grand father..haha.. yes, she does not understand the movie yet. To her watching movies means pop corn and sweet drink but it is Ok . The important thing is we spent our time together .

Once a year for a family trip to nearby destination. It does not have to be overseas to make young children happy. It does not have to be Baskin Robin or Swenson . Just buy $1 ice cream will do. It does not have to be expensive restaurant to bring your children to dinner. Mamak stall will do .
What's more important is YOUR TIME and YOUR PRESENCE . And BE with them on the important days of their life . Be There for them.


2 comments:
i'm not married yet, i don't have any children...so...what i'm about to say might not be of any use to you, but still.... i think, you don't have anything to be worried about.
through your post, i can feel your love for your children. me - a stranger and only a reader - can see that, i'm sure your children can feel it too.
like you said, presence is important. even though for only 5 minutes, if my parents are really listening to me...that's already enough.
TQ Moonshin- I know that also- it just sometimes we need reassurance :).. yr time will come dont worry-
Post a Comment