Oct 27, 2009

Books and Me

I love story books - but it is hard for me to like any particular authors.

I used to read Anne Rice, Sydney Sheldon, John Grisham, before  I switched to Romance - I love Judith Macnaught of all - she can make me cry - love her snobbish and arrogant hero :) (but don't all hero in romance book are arrogant and snobbish? and many exist  in real life as well? heheh just kidding). I read Julie Garwood - she is hilarious but not "sweet enough". Then there is Amanda Quick and Jayne Ann Krentz  (same person?).


* among my collection. da buruk da buku I semua- da kena pungah ngan anak *

Before I "ventured"  into all these books, I read Mill & Boon :) in my teen age-secondary school - it was thin and the language is easy .

The thing about me is I must own the books that I read- I cannot read somebody else book - because if it is good , I am not able to part with it. I was reluctant to return it until I have the exact same one- and I dont like to read books which are borrowed from library -  yeah that is me.  So if it is somebody else book, and I like it, I will find and buy it - so that I can re read and daydream :) . If I dont like the book (apparently, I have misjudge the book when I flipp through them in the bookstore ) then I would take forever to finish it


  I read EB  when I was a little girl - in Malay -but now I try to collect all in its original    language. 

I prefer English fiction/romance - not that I would feel or look stupid if I read Malay romance :) but because it is just hard to find entertaining Malay novel that suits my taste then- In my childhood, I read Khadijah Hashim, Ahadiat Akashah-some of the few that I can remember. But most of the time I was with Enid Blyton Series- the Malay translation-

This few years, I started to love novels by "Alaf 21"- Some of my friends are reading them around the office. I flipped through some during my free time and instantly fall in love with the books by "Aisya Sofea" - Adam dan Hawa, Gelora Jiwa - they are so sweeeeeeeet :) -. I also like novels by Anis Mayuni and Damya Hanna but Aisya is the best .



                                                      *some of my malay collection*

And lately , I am into "Little Black Dress" (LBD) books which is not so thick - it's easy for me to finish :).- if my princess and prince leave me alone long enough for me to finish reading in a day .

I have switched from historical romance to contemporary - somehow - my lord,  the duke and the baron do not appeal to me anymore. I prefer real romance :) - So apart from LBD , I am also a huge  fan of Sophie Kinsella, Jane Green (I love Mr Maybe) and Alexandra Potter (love Mr Darcy and Me - a real life person is so much in love with Mr Darcy from pride and prejudice heheh ). I have yet to collect them all.


A thought did come across my mind- I am 34 years old - why am I still reading romance books heheh? I try to buy a non romance but it just takes me forever to finish reading it - like when I read Memoir of a Geisha .

Just call me a hopeless romantic then. :) - *sigh*

ps: currently i am reading shopaholic and baby (Sophie K) and thanks for the memories (Cecelia Ahern - author of PS I Love You - never read hers before)- I read 2 books concurently because I dont want to bring my books up and down and up and then forget where I put it :) - leave them at one place is easier. 

7 comments:

Lady of Leisure said...

hehe.. you know, i sangat tak suka baca buku.. i pun tak tahu kenapa.. dari kecik lagi..
i believe i ni mmg dasar pemalas wakaka.. but mana nak masuk univ, ntah mcmana i terjebak dengan cos english language and literature.. adoi la, nearly 6 years i dok bergelumang dengan english literature for my deg, end up jadik surirumah, alhamdulillah, syukur pada Allah *sambil tadah tangan*.. wakaka..

i jadi bertambah tak suka bila masa study i kene baca all the old english novel from shakespeare, siap ada subject called shakespeare in his age and modern context', merana betul i masa tu. What i do is, i tak penah baca pun buku2 tu, i just look for a summary atau mintak kawan2 yg dah baca ceritakan balik.. bukan i tak nak baca, tapi baru baca 3 helai, i dah mengantuk smp berair mata, sampai lenguh rahan nak menguap.. minum nescafe paket hijau pun masih ngantuk..

lepas grad i langsung tak baca novel apa dah, last 2 weeks i ada beli novel lydia teh tajuk do u wear suspenders, ni kita cam light reading, lawak2... i suke.. hihihih...

tapi kalau malay novel i suka aisya sofea, norhayati berahim.. sweet jer novel dorang ni.. i penah baca n nak habiskan dalam masa satu hari smp sanggup tak makan..

:D

tapi skrg dah jarang2 baca.. kalau pi kedai buku, beli buku masakkan pulak, ataupun majalah libur.. wakaka..

Ermayum said...

heheh memang la i yg da biasa pun malas gak da2 kalu ada ja yg mengganggu tak leh tgk org senang - susah nak habiskan buku -

xpala Lady tak suka buku asal hobby membaca tu ada - tak kirala buku apa2 buku masakan pun ok then nowadays org baca buku virtual - online books- online blog- on line newspaper ok la tu:) - i sebab minat nak berangan tu (escape to another world:)) tu yg try gak membaca - cari yg nipis2 and layannn - :)

Kit Pryde said...

hehehe.

i tak tahan kalau tak baca buku. i just have to read - everyday. i read while teman my daughter watching dora/barney/little einsteins/w.t.pooh/whatever.

masa belum ada anak, i'd read while my husband surf the net/tgk bola/tgk bola/tgk bola/tgk sports lain.

i spend more on books than anything else. ingat hantaran satu dulang tu nak mintak voucher kino tapi baru mula propose dh kena jegil mata ngan mak. aiyoh.

hahaha. you went from historical romances to contemporary. i used to read historical romances in college, but then went back to my first love (skang ni pun still my love gak) - FANTASY!!

tapi la ni (in the past two years or so) disebabkan recommendation dari heartsister tersayang, i start baca julia quinn.

then julia quinn recommends eloisa james. and then heartsister recommended lagi teresa medeiros.

then terjumpa p.c cast goddess summoning series. aiyoh!!

so now I am reading both romances AND fantasy. erk! sorry comment panjang!!!

Ermayum said...

xpa kit lagi panjang dari blog pun xpa - heheh

fantasy ni complex la Kit - pening i kadang2 - cam harry potter, narnia semua u baca? tu simple skit gak coz budak 2 nya buku - yg adult nya lagi complex heheh - but try me - recommend one fantasy book - the good one:)

Kit Pryde said...

hmmm

i read a lot of fantasy books that have been categorized as "young adult".

only ONE recommendation?? isk susah tu hahahah.

ok ok.

1. Belgariad Series by David Eddings. 5 books in this series, maybe a little heavy for you.
2. Garth Nix's Abhorsen Series. 3 books, talking abt one guardian against the dead rising.
3. Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising Series. There are 5 books, and the books in this series are short and pretty simple to read.
4. Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett's Good Omens
5. Anything by Terry Pratchett

So if you're starting, I'd suggest you start with no.5. Kalau you're going for a series, start with no.3 - Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising.

The movie the seeker is actually from the book The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper. Try it, I really love the books.

Ermayum said...

Hi Kit - will do - kena browse young adult area la pulak kat bookstore heheh - nanti i cari susan or terry --

Anonymous said...

me, a type of calculative to buy books except for my kidsss.....but if things that i see can make my house nice to see..fastly i grab n buy....dont care...anyway, reading yours make me teruja to have my own collection as well..at least to encourage n show example to my beloved kids...tq...hmmm any idea what book should i start??:)lepas ni if gaduh dgn hubby i bacaaaa jerrrr..sure dia tension lakkk....haha

Share/Bookmark
Blog Widget by LinkWithin