How much pocket money is reasonable for school children nowadays?
When I was a little girl, my father gave me 50 cents and as I grew older - my school pocket money was increased to Rm1. Is RM1 still enough nowadays?
I think RM 1 is still sufficient. There are nasi lemak, mee goreng and the likes- priced at 50 cents - of course the portion is very small - for me , it will only take 3 big table spoons (fat 3 table spoons i mean heheh)
I drop by Er's school a few times during her recess- (actually she begs me to come whenever she knows that I am on leave or MC:)). So I do a little field study (ceh). A cup of drink is 50 cents . Plain Hot dog is also 50cents- hot dog with bread is RM 1. Sandwich is rm 40 cents per slice and so the other cakes and delicacies.
So basically RM 1 is still enough- then if my girl brings water or packed lunch from home (which I prefer as we can guarantee its cleanliness), then 50 cents is even enough.
Er does not like to bring homemade lunch. She does bring sometimes but only to bring it back home untouched. I asked, 'Why don't you eat? and innocently she answers,' eh lupa la ( i forgot). Errr :).
1st day at school already know where to get ice cream
I give her RM 2 each for morning and afternoon school. Because if she buys a plate of rice and a cup of drink, she will require RM1. And maybe another 50 cents for ice cream for dessert:) - this is a must- I used to give her RM1 and I find out that she buys ice cream or junk food still but not a proper meal and when I ask her why she does not eat rice or noodle- she said, 'if I buy nasi lemak/rice or noodle, then there is no money for my ice cream'- So I make her a deal- I said- you must buy something that makes you full- you must buy a proper meal then only you buy your candy or ice cream- So I give her RM2. Normally she will show me her balance- 50 cents or 70 cents and I ask her to put in her tabung (fund).
It is hard to control what she eats or what she should not eat, because I am not going to be there for her 24 hours- and we do ask her to eat first (before dashing off to school) during breakfast or in between school but sometime she says she is not hungry. The only thing that I can do is to ask her every day and keep reminding her. So Er's pocket money is Rm 4 per day. Net spending is averagely RM 2.50 to RM 3.
Mar wants her share also- I give her RM 50 cent- She does not need any money actually because her kindergarden already provides food and drink during recess. Yet, her school bus is a kedai gula bergerak (mobile shop) - The driver is very clever- menyelam sambil minum air. She sells all kind of junk food and ice cream (remember we used to call it ais krim kampung yang dalam plastik pintal2 kat hujung tu nak makan kena gigit plastic tu:))-
Yes, I do have concern with all the junk food. Actually, I prefer ice creams and chocolate or candy or sweet than kerepek like O rings, twisties or whatever. Yet all is still categorized as junk food kan? :(
But it makes them smile - I myself have to keep stock of cute little sweets or a packet of kit kat in my handbag as they will come after me just as I got off the car and ask, 'ummi ada beli candy' tak heheh. I do tell them that , 'there are days when I come home and there will be nothing in my handbag OK'- just to make sure that they do not expect me to buy on a daily basis :)- kadang -kadang lupa, kadang- kadang tak keluar lunch tak jumpa kedai
PS:
masa I darjah 1, nasi lemak 30 sen :)
makan gula and cekelat memanyak takpa- gigi kena rajin gosok :) (lucky eh anak I:))
PS:
masa I darjah 1, nasi lemak 30 sen :)
makan gula and cekelat memanyak takpa- gigi kena rajin gosok :) (lucky eh anak I:))


13 comments:
erma,
susah kan kite nak control anak2 ni, betul tu..kite bukan 24jam bersama dorg kan. irdina masih tak sekolah so, no pocket money. tapi bagus u train anak u simpan duit dlm tabung. i dah start buat tapi habis duit syiling dalam umah kalau die jumpe kutip masuk dlm tabung die..heheh.
eh! u sama la macam i simpan stock candy dlm hbag..heheh. time i pick-up irdina @daycare antara soklan yang dia selalu tanye "ade sweet tak mama?" :D tapi mcm u jugak la, tade la i buat stock tetiap hari....nnt lemak pulak kan
has bg ac rm3 sehari. mmg ada baki 50cent cam tu n masuk tabung..gigih nak psp..heheheh
All this while I x penah pun tau the prices of food at my son's school canteen.x concern betul i ni. I always tell him "Don't eat too much at school coz you are over-weight!"..that's all. Everyday I only give him RM2. I always wanted to give him more but he refused to accept saying 2 inggit pun dah cukup. Harap2 betul2cukup..
babe!kita primary skool early eighties babe..more than a decade ago wehhh...dulu bawak 50 sen boleh beli mcm2..now ni, boleh beli air je yek:-)
psst, kita ni same age lah kan hahaha..ke u younger than me:0
dulu bapak saya pun bagi RM0.50 untuk belanja sekolah. Sekarang ni kalau RM1.00 belum tentu cukupkan?Sebab sekarang ni barang dah mahal2.Anak saya bawak bekal jer tu pun belum tentu die nak makan bekal yang die bawak.
hehe.. i dulu sekolah rendah 50.. masuk tahap dua rm1..
then menengah2-3 ringgit.. menengah atas 5 ringgit.. i kuat makan walaupun masa tu kecikkkk lagi.. lepas makan nasi, i gi beli laksa pulak... :-D
I pun bagi poket money kat anak i, RM60 per month, so pandai2 la dia nak abiskan..
Dulu2 i bawak 50sen jer, tu pun boleh beli n.lmk ngan air, sekarang ni mana nak dapat kan??..tu lah bezanya duit dulu n sekarang kan??..
Nana hehe ha tiap2 hari byk lemak la- i selalu cakap hari ni ummi tak g kedai esok2 la k - but memang pun kalu tak kuar lunch tak gla kedai :)
Has - ha bagus tu - sama la nak macam2 simpan byk2 :)
TK hehe - besar sgt ke dear? but kena control gak budak2 ni tak nak membesar besar:) tapi lelaki takpa - kita kita comel2kan anak pompuan hehe nanti da besar tembum menyesal cam i ni - kekecik makan tak ingat dunia hehe
zarin dear da 2, 3 kali u tanya soalan ni heheh iya kita sama umur da tua da kita weiii -- yg lain sapa eh yg tua cam kita heheh -
Noorul- hi dear samala kita:)
Lady amboi semangatnya kekecik dulu :)
Azmiezas kan - lain dulu lain sekarang - nanti zaman cucu kita (ceh) nasi lemak ciput kat sekolah rm1- kat luar now nasi lemak kosong 150- 10 years ago 1 beli 70 sen ja-
I nak nyibuk jugak kat sini...umur I pun sama dgn you dan zarin...hehehe
babe! see..nampak sgt i dah tua ye! asyik lupa je soklan sendiri hahaha :D
great article. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did you know that some chinese hacker had hacked twitter yesterday again.
wow, this really brings back the memories... ;)
My Mom used to give me rm2 for my lunch money...which i kept aside each day to buy comic books and animes. lol. even though i had scholarship all through my secondary schooling years....but yeah, my expense was pretty big for my age. i used that one all on novels. heheheheheh
happy days, ermayum.
Shariz, yeahh sapa lagi geng kita heheheh-
bdw i tak particular anybody yang muda nak panggil i apa - sis ke kakak ke erma ke no hal - jangan panggil BUM ke BAM ke da kekekeke
Anynamous hi there - I dont have twitter hehe and nothing interesting to update every hour I guess
oh no i have not yet to read that
thanks for droppping by:)
Post a Comment