May 2, 2010

Mothers of Today




I can totally relate when Yummymummy wrote “sedikit selfish- can you relate?”


A few days ago, when I was just about to dash off to work, I saw Q (who just woke up. He looked very dreamy and very sad ), looking at me with that cute little face, as if begging me, “can I follow you, ummi?” alahai pesal la budak ni terbangun la pulak. Alahai anak I kesiannya tengok muka sedih dia – I felt a pang of guilt. Tetiba sayu ja . So when I reversed my car out, I called after jernih “aiman, cepat panggil kakak, jom pergi beli jajan”. Hmm lambat lagi hari ni hehe

Normally, if Q wakes up slightly earlier like any other days, he would get the opportunity to ride a motorcycle with his ayah around the residential area – pusing sana sekali pusing sinun sekali. Such a small gesture will make him flash his wide beautiful smile and wave us goodbye cheerfully. When he feels good, we will also feel good leaving him. Guilt does not come creeping into my heart.

It is hard to be a working mother nowadays. Like what yummymummy said, we want some quality time with our kids but we also want this time and that time. We want to unwind after work by facebooking and blogging, and weekend to facial and spa and meeting friends. In order to have that, we just have to sacrifice some of the time with the children.


But the truth is even when I am around at home for 24 hours a day, I still have little “together time” with my children. They are just too busy playing a make believe – jadi mak la, jadi ayah la or too engrossed in Barbie or Sponge Bob or Wonder Pet or Ben 10. This is the time that I used to my advantage to do my things, reading or blogging before they got bored playing by themselves and start seeking my attention on something or everything.


As for the working days, TG, I have a helper. Yes, I do believe that we can live without one. But with 3 growing up children with the eldest being 7 years only, I would have to use some of the free time that I have at night, to tidy up the house, cook and getting things ready for tomorrow and I would have very little time  to talk or to bond with them.

By the time I finish the house chores, my children may have already gone to sleep. And with my tiredness (resulting from the daily office and house work), it would be lucky if I can be as cheerful as "the me that I want to be with them". People snap easily at small little things when they are tired or under pressure. – termasuk I la tu heheh. So, I am  thankful and grateful that I can hire  somebody to help me around the house.



My daily day with my children start with me asking them, how their day goes by at school. My Erdina will tell me about how she fight with her friend or about that boy in her sekolah agama like to tease her. Erdina likes to ramble on and on -menceceh ja :). Mar likes to cut people off, menyampuk cerita kakak dia - nanti dia pun sama ada orang kacau gak kat sekolah (dua dua nampaknya ada mewarisi perangai i menceceh dan menyampuk hehe).

Then, there is dinner time. Normally my children will ask me to feed them – by hands . I feed them with my bare hands almost everyday actually.They eat a lot when I feed them than when they are eating on their own. I pun suka tak bersepah sepah satu pinggan 3 orang makan- please take turn k. I know that it tastes good – a different kind of good. Because I remember being fed by my mother when I was a little girl. It was so delicious. Maybe sebab tangan ibu – air tangan ibu jatuh ke dalam makanan yang digaul. Though the dish was very simple, a fry egg and plain anchovies with soy sauce, the taste is heavenly delicious. I know this by heart because my mum used to feed me this way. 

Then there is a homework time. It can be very stressful as they can be very stubborn sometimes. Ah yes, their teacher is always right. Teacher said like this, like that, Ummi buat ni salah. Arrggg :). I cannot teach children or any other people as I lose my patience easily :) ( I pernah jadi cikgu tuition dulu sungguhla mencabar kesabaran I :)). And Erdina pulak pantang ditegur nanti terpeleot.

Sleep time is another bonding time as each of my child will ask for a massage. So, Dina and Acha each will take turn lying down on my bed and I will massage them (sebenarnya picit picit ja :) – badanla kaki la . In the past, they made me massage them until they fell asleep. As they get older,  I have managed to reason and strike a deal with them. Penatla ummi urut urut tah bila nak tidur, ummi pun ngantuk gak hehehe. Nanti Ummi da tua tak tau la you all nak urut Ummi tak . 

Then come Q’s turn, I got no choice but to switch off the light and pretend to sleep with him sambil tepuk2 badan dia. if tangan I berhenti menepuk dia sound “mi puk puk umi “, kejab lagi berbunyi lak, "mi nak luk"  (I want a hug),  kejab lagi kang, " Mi nak mut" ( i want a blanket) hmm banyak songeh la jantan ni. Until he is all dreamy and falls into a deep sleep.

After all my 3 angels are soundly asleep , then only, I can go blog reading or blog writing. But sometimes, I accidentally fall asleep as well hehe.

To all mothers of today- whether you are a SAHM or a working mother, HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY. May is a mother's month. But every day is a mother day :D.

To  the working mothers, yes we have limited time, but it is the quality that counts and not the quantity k. Dont feel so guilty :).

To SAHM , make the best use of the time that you all have. You are lucky girls :)

Cheers

18 comments:

Yummy Mummy said...

Aww thanks dear, terharu gitu! To be honest, I couldn't cope at all if it weren't for my helper. I think that is the secret if you are a career lady who needs to juggle so many things. If I didn't have a helper, I could be good at work, but I wouldn't be able to excel. And the selfish thing is that I want to excel in my career. Balik rumah I masak. Bibik helps with clearing up. I also suap my children by hand. Bibik helps with washing up. You are totally right, it's the quality time that counts ;)

Lady of Leisure said...

happy mother's day to u dear... :)

zarin said...

babe! actually kan hati i ni memang tk tahan sgt nak kejer balik tapi i ingat balik dulu tu main reason i berenti is that i really nk spend time ngan anak..hmmm looks like lama lagilah i tk kejer ni..
eh, ni kan comment yg tkde kena mengena ye...td i godek pictures u kat fb...ehh dear..betullah naper i rasa mcm i pernah jumpa u dulu ye?kita pernah jumpa ke? ke jumpa kat alam lain ye???

Azmiezas said...

So sweet..bagusnya awak yer..mesti awak rapat ngan anak2 kan??..

psst:..awak garang tak ngan anak-anak,..akak boleh tahan lah..n..

akak setuju sangat awak,..hari2 adalah hari ibu kan??..

Ermayum said...

YM i pun sama:) penat bangat sakit badan semua kalau takda helper

Lady happy mother's day to Arri and Molly's mother gak :)

zarin tak pa la dear ikut hati u mana yg lagi kuat if u still fikir pasal hasya maknanya hati nak kerja tu tak kuat sgt - u bukak bakery laaa keje gak tu - dont waste yr talent dear :) - dapat kerja and still byk masa ngan pickle :)- nanti i datang makan selalu heheh
iya la kot kita pernah jumpa melalui sara hahaha takpun i jumpa kembar u and u jumpa kembar i manusia kan ada 7 orang seiras :D

azmiezas apa yg sweet nya kak :) hmm saya ngamuk jadi hantu gak suara menjerit gak heheeh but they all tak takut hahah

diana sidek said...

tergelak i baca psl entri ni erma.hihihi!!esp bila bab nak tidurkan Q tu. very manja ye erma n plus die d only boy so dia tau he deserves some extra attention fr u.anyway, happy mother's day ye!hope ur hubby x keje this coming weekend.

Ermayum said...

Diana hehe anak i semua mengada tahap gaban :) sama ja semua byk manja - TQ dear u re very sweet

TK said...

U r rite, anak2 esp masa primary dgr kata cikgu je tau. Believe me, masa sek men, they don listen to teachers anymore. So don worry..Happy mother's day 2 u. Lagi satu..moral of the story-it's hard to survive without a maid around!

Kiasu Mom said...

You should train all 3 to massage you instead.. hehehe. One covers the shoulder, another the back and lastly the feet. Wouldn't that be nice... ? hehehe. True enough, we working mothers have to juggle so many things that sometimes its so hard to find the perfect balance. But as long as we do our best, I think that is all we can ask/hope for.

Ermayum said...

KiasuMom - hehehe i try jugak but small hands on my chubby body tak rasa apa haha

TK hehe yeah that the moral of story

vialentino said...

Hi Ermayum...thanks for ur comment. You got a nice blog here...yeah, now u can eat halal dim sum not only at hotels but at normal halal dim sum outlet ... do try it.

N A N I E said...

Diorang manja ngan you yer..sangat manja..and u oso..memang lovely mom..tak semua career woman cam you..keep it up..

Dear..neh nak tanyaaaa...janjan tuh apa? cikedis ke? :)

Happy mother's day Erma..u memang supermommy..enuff said :)

Ermayum said...

nanie dear tak habis puji i ja terkembang dah bon bon i yg kembang ni heheh - tapi i garang kalu i naik angin suara i cam dracula hehe (eh camna eh suara dracula) but i can be sporting though bila i naik angin sometimes I am being harsh :) - no dear i belum cukup mendapat superMOM i kena mintak tolong SUPERMAN gak kadang2 heeh

vialentino hi yeah i will try tq to you :)- already save the add in my phone :D

cikayu said...

happy mother's day to you....gosh..i rasa sangat hebatnye bila as a mother dapat balancekan masa berkualiti, tho, we have so many things in my mind to do after that, after this..then and after...sib baik ada helper kan...

A.Z. Haida said...

yup - so true...
that's why i have a lot of respect for mak dulu-dulu
[http://look_again.blogspot.com/2007/05/i-have-lot-respect-for-mothers-in-old.html]

dan ya - tak payah tunggu satu hari dalam setahun untuk raikan ibu - hari-hari pun kita kena raikan ibu :-)

Ermayum said...

cikAyu let try our best k :) happy mother's day to you too :)

Ermayum said...

AZHaida iya

screamingmommy said...

Happy mother's day beb..to all us mother..yes I can relate to the juggling part..being working mom u'll contantly feel guilty for not spending enough times with them:)

Share/Bookmark
Blog Widget by LinkWithin