Oct 13, 2009

Oyum and Asthma



My handsome man - is having his asthma attack again - but this time he is more in  control - He had his first and second attacks at 7 months, and 11 months and last Saturday was his 3rd attack - now he is 17 months year old and the interval time between his last and recent attack is longer - that is good

He was warded  at 7 and 11 months - but the treatment was only on "nebulising" him for every four hours. A minimum hospital stay is 4 days - he was normally OK by 2nd day but his doctor always wanted to observe him for another 1 or 2 days -  so I figure that  if I can "nebulise" him myself,  I can skip the hospital trip - not that I am being selfish but seriously - it bored me to death - and my son hates hospital - he hates to be confined to the hospital bed and hospital environment  (but nobody  likes it also huh?) - then the play room got so many sick children - and he wants to be there all there along - .

So that was what I did last Saturday - go to clinic - get the medication and do the "nebulising" thing at home, borrow the machine from my aunt (4 out of her  children are asthmatic ) - (my computer keep highlighting that there is no such word as "nebulise" , " nebulising",  "nebuliser" :) )  .

Of course I follow my doctor advise and dosages-  the thing about  Qayum is he can never sit quietly -  he is constantly on the run here and there -  climb and fall and climb up again - cry and scream - so before 4 hours , I can hear him wheezing again . And he hates it when I put the mask on his face- he screams his heart out and I have to get somebody to hold him tight-   My aunt said , "let him cry",  the louder the  better - as he cries and hold his breath, he will need to breath in deep then - together with his medication.

Nebulise the child (an act of giving the asthmatic the oxygen plus medication to inhale)  is only a temporary measure - to make the asthmatic breathes easily- to enlarge the airways hall.

There is no cure for asthma - it is only a matter of control - things that you can eat or not, the temperature - hot or cold , the things that you allergic to - you need to find out what  trigger you an asthma attack and try to stay away from the causes.   

As the day  went on , Yum  got better especially at night.  As he slept, I used the normal ventolin and seretide inhalers with the help of a holding chamber .  And he was much better on Sunday -


Asthma is genetically inherited  - it comes from me :( . My parents told me  that I had it when I was 3 years old - I could not remember ).

But I remember when I was 12 years old - that was the horrible year when I had frequent visits to clinic- the year I was so thin - the year I skipped class the most - but once I knew how to use inhaler - I was better . That time, my doctor used to give me pills that made my whole body shiver. Nowadays- they  use different medication - just another inhaler containing  seretide .

Ventolin  is used during an attack - to enlarge the  airway hall - to facilitate breathing. Seretide  is used to prevent an attack.

As a prevention measure you need to take it on a daily bais or on alternate day or etc . My doctor said , "the reason why I sometime still have an asthma attack because I did not control/prevent it -  I do not take the seretide regularly" .  

                                                                        * Seretide Inhaler *

These days, I still bring my inhalers around - just because I am so used to it - not bringing it in my handbag is like not bringing my handphone or wallet - just in case if I need it.- Normally , if I was so sick , have bad fever,  bad cough or bad  sore throat, I will get a mild attack - once or twice a year.  

I was so relieved that my girls do not have asthma - no matter how bad is their cough and flu - they are clear of asthma (the wheezing and difficulty in breathing  )

And I am a bit sad to find out that Yum has it - I don't want him to depend on seretide as well but he is an active boy so hopefully he will remain active and beat his asthma.

PS: people said giving supplement can help to prevent a child from getting an asthma - one popular supplement is original scott emulsion - minyak ikan  but many children do not like the taste and the smell . My SIL  recommended that I  give  Oyum DCL honey - it does help I guess as he has not getting the asthma for the last 8 months - I run out of it for almost 1 month and keep forgetting to buy it :(

5 comments:

Lady of Leisure said...

nebulizer ni bagus ada satu di rumah kalau kita ada anak kecil kan..
dulu i ingat nebulizer ni hanya dipakai di hospital jer.. skrg ada jual dah ek untuk kegunaan di rumah..

Ermayum said...

iya memang kena ada -
dulu nak beli dr said no need - takut one time only coz baby below 3 years dr calls it bronchitis - above 3 years asma - those baby with bronchitis history ada high probability to get asma after the age of 3 years- is surveying the machine now - hope I will not be using it on anybody even if I have :)

Kit Pryde said...

Salam!! I'm here visiting you... eh i pun used to have asthma/bronchitis when i was small. Makan pills tu mmg buat badan menggigil kan?

I got asthma again masa ngandung. And now I kena jaga makan and minum... also when I get the flu & I cough.. it sometimes develops into an astma attack for me.

I hate it, but its part of my life. Sigh...

I am so afraid my daughter will get it too cos my husband had asthma when HE was little!!! Scary kan???

Ermayum said...

Ye Kit scary - but we survived and we have to make our children to survive it also - the medication gets better- the seretide tak buat kita menggigil - but we keep our fingers cross that anak2 kita takda asma - :) kalu ada pun tak teruk

Kit Pryde said...

yeah... i seriously wish they'd come up with a SAFE drug to prevent or lessen asthma. like they did with chicken pox hahahah.

but maybe there is and i don't know abt it.

Share/Bookmark
Blog Widget by LinkWithin